About

A Brief History of the Abe Hubert Elementary School


Abe Hubert Elementary School has come about through a gradual evolution. During the years immediately preceding World War I, the seventh and eighth grades were housed in the old South Side School which was located on lots which are now included in Finnup Park.

In 1918, a building known as Sequoya Senior High was erected as a junior high school. In September of that year an intermediate school consisting of seventh, eighth, and ninth grades was organized and began work in the new building. One year later the junior high was transferred to the old senior high building.

In 1925, the school was given the name Andrew Sabine Junior High, in honor of Doctor Andrew Sabine. Doctor Sabine was for many years a member of the Board of Education and was a staunch supporter of education in Garden City.

The Andrew Sabine Junior High School was organized under the principal ship of Mrs. Mary Evans Nichols who, during her many years of teaching experience, contributed largely to the success of the junior high school.

In 1963, the present junior high building was erected and was named Garden City Junior High School. Students in grades 7, 8 and 9 attended. In 1972, the name was changed to Abe Hubert Junior High School in memory of Mr. Abe Hubert, Principal of Garden City Junior High School from 1944 until his death in 1972.

Abe Hubert Junior High's traditional junior high instruction began to change during the 1986-87 school year. The Board of Education adopted the philosophy of middle level education. With the move of the sixth grade into Abe Hubert Middle School and the ninth grade to the senior high, Abe Hubert began serving grades 6 through 8 in 1991.

At the start of the 1997-1998 school year, Abe Hubert Middle School began serving only seventh and eighth grade students. All sixth grade students attend two intermediate centers, Charles O. Stone and Bernadine Sitts Intermediate Centers. 

Upon the completion of the new high school in 2012, Abe Hubert underwent another transformation from middle school to elementary school. It currently serves roughly 400 students K-6.